Thursday, August 29, 2013

Toothpaste

This is my homemade toothpaste made with four basic ingredients.  The process is very simple and only takes a few minutes.  For years I've used commercial toothpaste, but there were some brands that irritated my mouth.  I used other brands that worked moderately well, until a few months ago when I started reacting to some of them.  So after going through my process of elimination, I realized that the whitening agent used in most toothpaste brands was one of the ingredients that irritated my mouth.  

I switched to an all natural toothpaste that did not contain the whitening agent (because some of them do), and immediately I noticed a difference.  I kept using this natural toothpaste for a while, but after researching  the ingredients labeled on the tube I figured that I could make my own.  So I ordered my ingredients, made a trial batch, and waited 24 hours to see how well I would respond to it.  Thankfully everything turned out well, and so I proceeded to make a full batch that smells minty fresh! 

Once I made my full batch, it became a pliable paste ready for use.  I keep this batch out on the counter, and when it's time to brush I just dip my toothbrush in the batch.  However,  the batch might slightly melt if you live in a warmer climate, and the coconut oil might settle on the surface.  One solution is to cut the stem a plastic spoon in half and place it in the jar to use as a stirring stick.  You can also use it to scoop a glob onto your brush for sanitary purposes.  As a result of using my homemade toothpaste, my mouth feels clean and fresh, and it leaves a subtle sweet taste which diminishes minutes later.  I've also noticed that my morning breath has decreased.


Recipe
1/4 cup - Coconut Oil (Organic, Virgin, Cold Pressed, Unrefined)*
1/2 cup - Baking Soda (Red Mill's 16 oz. bag)
4 tablespoons - Xylitol (a natural sweetener to combat bitterness)
2 teaspoons - Peppermint extract (for smell & taste)
6 oz. jar (This batch is approx. 5 oz.)

Pour the coconut oil, baking soda and xylitol in a bowl, and mix them together.  Then add your peppermint extract and mix it some more.  Keep mixing until the it becomes a pliable paste, and transfer the mixture to a 6oz. jar with an airtight lid to store it on the shelf. (The xylitol seems to partially dissolve in the mixture, so you might feel or taste a few sugary grains in your mouth).  When you're ready to use your toothpaste scoop some out with your brush, or with a plastic spoon as mentioned above.

Brands
*Coconut Oil - Trader Joe's or Carrington Farms (Read my Body Butter post for processing details)
Peppermint Oil - Frontier Organic Alcohol-Free Peppermint Extract (the kind you can ingest)
Xylitol - Your brand of choice

(I purchased most of my ingredients from Vitacost.com since they have great deals) :-)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dew,

    I always fancied making my own cosmetics, but i was always afraid of blowing up the house by mixing things that shouldn't be mixed together.
    This gives me great hope, and I surely am going to start with the toothpaste. It seems the safest option and a good start. I'll keep you posted.

    Thanks for the inspiration,

    Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula,

    You're welcome! I completely understand how you feel and that's why I try to search for more natural ingredients and avoid chemicals that would require lab space, lol! Give the toothpaste recipe a try and let me know how it works out for you. I made a big batch, but it is working out well since i've used 1/3 of it already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Dewdrop!!! You did it again... inspire, educate and enlighten! OUTSTANDING!!! The info is like a refreshing glass of water or a hot bowl of delicious soup. Thanks for the info!!! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW Dewdrop... you did it again...INSPIRE. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete